There once was a girl from nebraska,

Who was offered a job in alaska.

Via kansas, australia, and oregon,

Another adventure was born again,

And she got on a plane when they asked her.


embarking...


Marshall

a village of about 300 people

fly-in only, unless you have a boat

mostly Yup'ik culture

120 of which are students

16 of which are my students

5th and 6th graders

learning on the Yukon River

Sunday, September 19, 2010

three weeks, still standing...sort of

You know, people lived a long time without things like electricity, lice shampoo, and penicillin. We should be lucky right? Day 2 of the school year, we were without electricity until noon. No worries, read by the windows, oh, and here's your flashlight-on-a-string for the bathroom. Last week, there was a lice uprising that took the hairdos of about 20 kids hostage. Reinforcements were called and the battle was soon won by the hair-checkers, the clinic, and the steam carpet cleaner. Rest assured, my own rats nest was not captured by the encroaching lice warriors. My throat, however, was taken prisoner by General Strep in a subsequent battle. Forces from the Penicillin Army are in the process of taking it back.

Perhaps I'm not getting enough adult conversation in my diet. Oh right, because they're all busy moving all of their classrooms to the new school as I should be doing if I weren't cooped up in my house. Feeling better by the day, though, and am hoping to make one fell swoop to at least get the wall of boxes into one general area for loading. We have been given extra work days so we'll get it done. And the new school is beautiful and huge! We are setting records, too. Our principal told us that he's never heard of a school moving buildings three weeks into the school year that wasn't the result of a fire. So there's the silver lining, I'd say.





Just a glimpse of the wall of boxes that greeted me and had to remain in my classroom until The Great Move.

1 comment:

  1. HI Darlin,
    I hope you are feeling better. Yes it is an adventure. I should take some pictures for you of 3 Rivers and the construction. It looks very different. Are all the boxes your stuff or a collection of others.

    Thinking of you!!!!
    Kristel

    ReplyDelete