There once was a girl from nebraska,

Who was offered a job in alaska.

Via kansas, australia, and oregon,

Another adventure was born again,

And she got on a plane when they asked her.


embarking...


Marshall

a village of about 300 people

fly-in only, unless you have a boat

mostly Yup'ik culture

120 of which are students

16 of which are my students

5th and 6th graders

learning on the Yukon River

Monday, September 6, 2010

feeling like myself again

After moving, labeling, and organizing the mass of boxes and storage in my classroom, I arranged some desks, and had a cozy, but functioning classroom. The first full week of school proved just as hard as I imagined it would be. The resilience of these kids is awe-inspiring, which is why teaching them comes with its curve balls. They are really great kids, though. I love them already. And I'm ready for a new week.

I chaperoned my first all-school dance on Saturday night. I may have uncool teacher status now, but that didn't stop me from throwing out a few dance moves of my own. I even did the limbo (mental note: I am much better at limbo when I'm 8 and on roller skates). Sunday was some great bonding time with the other teachers over a lovely meal, complete with moose stew (delicious!). Tonight, Anna and I were on a leisurely walk, when my students came by and picked us up on their 4-wheelers. I got a little shooting practice (don't worry, the soda can never came close to danger) and then a wild ride up and down the side of a gravel pit (impressive cat-like speed and reflex and I'm not even on my way back to the hospital). Okay, girls. Take Miss Mary home now. She still needs to plan your lessons for tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. OMG, matches the photo Brian gave you! hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sweetie, You do realize you are perfectly matched for this adventure. Glad you are bonding with your staff. It will be them that gets you through. I think you already knew this from the river before you even applied to the cohort. I had a good first week. Very smooth. I have 21 students and one grade level. It is heaven. Many new kids. Love you! Kristel

    ReplyDelete
  3. sending lots of love your way....and looking forward to future installments....

    ReplyDelete